For enquiries regarding:
Come along to our office in the Christian Education Centre:
+1 (441) 236 5880
8.00am Holy Communion (Book of Common Prayer)
10.30am Holy Communion (Common Worship) (Sunday School and Nursery available except 4th Sunday when we worship all together)
11.00am Holy Communion
7:30pm Bible Study (please contact us for details)
6.30pm Church Girls' Brigade (in the Christian Education Centre)
6.30pm Boys' Brigade (in the Christian Education Centre)
As you amble through this venerable building, the memorial tablets and plaques together with the stained glass windows will tell something of the story of that mighty array of saints who have given to us this heritage and hallowed it by their prayers. We pray that what we have done will enable what we have received from the past to live on into the 21st Century.
Before you leave, you are invited to take a moment to remember in prayer all those who worship here and move out from here to minister to others in His name, for His sake and to His glory. Finally, you might find the surrounding churchyard a retreat from everyday life.
Rectors of Paget since 1825
Archdeacon Aubrey Spencer, M.A. Oxford 1825-40
The Revd. Samuel P Musson 1840-44
The Revd. M.K.S. Frith 1845-64
The Revd. James Wood 1864-66
Archdeacon J.F.B. Lumley Lough, M.A. Oxford 1866-96
The Revd. Edward I Lough, M.A. Oxford 1896-99
The Revd. Arthur Goldring 1899-05
The Revd. Edward I Lough, M.A. Oxford 1907-19
The Revd. Geoffrey B Cooley 1919-27
The Revd. A P Kirkpatrick, M.A. Cambridge 1927-32
Archdeacon Henry Marriot, B.A. Durham 1933-51
The Revd. H G Pellett 1952-55
The Revd. Canon Peter Evans, B.A. Wales, M.A. Oxford 1955-81
The Revd. K Newton, B.A. Open University, Ph.D. Colombia 1981-85
The Revd. Canon Derek Jackson, M.A. Oxford 1985-89
The Revd. Canon John H Diehl lll, A.B.,M.Div, A.Cert. C.M. 1991-96
The Revd. J. Anthony D. Roberts, B.D. A.K.C. 1997-02
The Revd. Canon Dr Patrick White BA MDIV DMIN 2003-08
The Anglican Church of Bermuda is part of the Anglican Communion, a worldwide group of Churches, whose roots are found in the Church of England. Amongst those Churches nearby are the Episcopal Church of the United States of America, the Anglican Church of Canada and the Anglican Church of the West Indies.
A LITTLE GUIDE TO ST PAUL’S CHURCH BUILDING
Welcome to Paget Parish Church, which the Church of England planted in 1623, a short time after the landing of Sir George Somers. Paget is one of the nine parishes each of which was named after one of the nine founders of The Bermuda Company. The Church was named Saint Paul’s whose patron is the foremost Christian missionary Paul of Tarsus.
Christians gathered on the site of this present building or nearby to celebrate their life in Christ. Unfortunately, there are no extant records to tell us much about these people or the kind of building in which they worshipped.
In 1795, after a storm had severely damaged the Church, the oldest part of the present structure was erected. When standing at the crossing where the four arms of this cruciform meet, one is approximately in the middle of the oldest part of the building.
The transepts, that is, the arms of the cross to north and south, were added in 1825. These two additions made for a cruciform church building reminding those who enter of the symbol of our salvation. The main axis, of course, is east-west with the high altar in the east facing the rising sun, which is symbolized by the burst around the Cross. The font is at the west entrance of the Lady Chapel. The font reminds us that we become Christians through Baptism and continue the Christian life by faithful feeding on the Body and Blood of Christ at his Holy Table – the High Altar.
Early in 1969, when some work was done to the western end of this building, a grave marker dated 1859 was found underneath the floor. This discovery, together with the fact that the plasterwork of the last bay of the church is different from the rest of the nave, suggests that the west end of the building was added to around 1860.
The spire, designed by a local resident and amateur architect who did a number of other spires in Bermuda, was added in 1875. It is a lovely addition to the scene when during the day it arises majestically from the marsh, while at night it points a finger to heaven as it is bathed in soft light.
In 1929, after years of planning, there was a major reconstruction of the east end where another bay was added to provide a sanctuary for the linen-fold high altar and the Bermuda cedar roof. The Jacobean chairs are further adornments to the sanctuary. There is a set of six baroque candlesticks and a matching crucifix.
At the same time, the “Jones Memorial Chapel”, which is furnished entirely in
Bermuda cedar, was added to the south. The stencilling above the Lady Chapel altar has been taken from the stencilling around the base of the Jones Font at the west end of this charming chapel. The needlepoint has been made by members of the Jones family.
Also at that time, the vestry and the commodious organ chamber were added to the north side of the building.
In 1958, it was decided to further enhance both sanctuary and chancel so completing the work started in the 1929 re-construction. During the next ten years, the Altar reredos was installed, the new mahogany choir seating was given and the organ console renewed. The chancel platform was extended forward to allow for a central nave altar and the replacement pulpit was specially designed so that every worshipper, in the transepts as well as the nave, could see the preacher.
In 1973, the hundred year old termite-infected pews were replaced by new mahogany ones.
The entrance at the northwest rear of the building was a gift of the Gosling family in 1983; this provides access for both the physically challenged and coffins at funerals.
The pipe organ has been enlarged to 75 ranks with 81 speaking stops in seven divisions distributed amongst the organ chamber and the north gallery. It presently contains somewhat over 4000 pipes. It is the largest, and reputedly, finest organ in Bermuda and is recognized by overseas organists as a world-class instrument.
The Paget Parish Crest, which adorns the gallery organ case, was dedicated on 12th November 1995, our first day back in this refreshed church after nearly six months.
The fleur de lys, which is found in the carpet and in the windows, symbolizes both the Trinity and the Easter Lily, a flower for which Bermuda is famous. It was also taken from the base of the baptismal font.
In 2009, renovations took place including the entire exterior building being chipped away back to the base stone and coated with a new plaster product to give the building longevity, the roof and exterior walls were completed repaired, several sections of the interior were attended to, including putting the Aumbry back into service and a new air conditioning unit and water pump room added.
Copyright (©) 2013